How can I just participate and not have to pay for it with stomach upset?
Heartburn can be caused by various factors. Among others, people who drink a lot of alcohol, smoke more than ten cigarettes a day, eat too fast and too fat or are tense, suffer from heartburn faster. But being overweight is also a big risk for heartburn. Obesity leads to more pressure on your stomach, which pushes your stomach up and makes it easier for the stomach acid to flow back to your esophagus.
Here are some tips on how you can prevent heartburn to a large extent:
- Do not eat too heavy or too fat. You can also cook a number of lighter, less-greasy dishes. Then take a little more from these dishes and less from the fatty dishes.
- Eat small bits rather than one large meal. Take a little of all dishes instead of scooping up your plate.
- Don’t eat too fast, take your time and chew your food well.
- Avoid highly seasoned dishes (sambal, peppers).
- Alcohol also causes heartburn. But a wine during the dinner is very tasty. Therefore, take a glass of water in addition to your glass of wine and you will drink less quickly.
- Sleep on two pillows, so that your upper body is higher.
- Pay close attention to your posture. Don’t bend over too often, but bend your knees.
- Do not eat just before bedtime.
- Don’t lie down immediately after eating.
- Do not wear tight clothing.
- Drinking a glass of milk or a bowl of vanilla custard can help if you have heartburn.
- Stop smoking.
- Relax! Tensions have a strong effect on the stomach.
source – Gezondheidsnet